*Update: this job opportunity is now expired
Head of Strategy and Development
12 months Fixed Term initially
£30,000-£35,000 depending on experience
St Albans area, Hertfordshire
Music for my Mind is a new and timely charity aiming to bring personalised music playlists to people living with dementia. Although people with dementia may not be able to communicate or recognise loved-ones, amazingly, they may still be able to sing along to favourite music from their teenage years. There are estimated to be 850,000 families affected by dementia in Britain, 50 million worldwide.
To date the charity has been operating on a volunteer basis with a committed and well-connected Trustee Board. The current crowdfunding campaign indicates the breadth of public empathy for dementia. We have raised sufficient funds to recruit for our highest priority position – to lead on strategic development and fundraising for the charity.
About the role:
This post will work with the Founding Chairman of the Board, who lives in Hertfordshire, supported by a part-time Project assistant. The Trustees are committed to building the evidence base that listening to personalised music playlists enhances well-being and quality of life for families affected by dementia. The long-term goal is to test the efficacy and cost effectiveness of this intervention for dementia in a large clinical trial.
Working closely with the Chair and board of trustees, you will provide and deliver the long-term strategic plan and budget to develop the Music for My Mind Charity. You will drive fundraising opportunities, including making grant applications, and manage donors to ensure a sustainable income to deliver the long term strategic plan.
You will work closely with Playlist for Life, Edinburgh University, and other like-minded organisations to deliver the goal of making personalised music available to everyone living with dementia.
Ideally you will have a proven track record of strategic planning and delivery, and of securing funding in a tough and complex financial climate in a senior management or strategy development role in the charity or university sector. You will have extensive experience in financial management and budget development, be a confident communicator with excellent written and verbal communication skills, and relationship management abilities.
Music for my Mind is an important new initiative and this position creates a fabulous opportunity for someone who can make a massive impact on many people’s lives.
You can read the full Job Description below. To apply, please send your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com.
Closing date: July 1st 2018
View Job on Charity Jobs: https://bit.ly/2sw9zuY
Head of Strategy and Development – Music for my Mind Charity
The Head of Strategy and Development will report to the Chair of the Board of Trustees of Music for my Mind
Working closely with the Chair and board of trustees, provide and deliver the long-term strategic plan and budget to develop the Music for My Mind Charity. Ensure appropriate standards are in place and compliance with the law and regulations.
Drive fundraising opportunities, including making grant applications, and manage donors to ensure a sustainable income to deliver the long term strategic plan
Work closely with Playlist for Life, Edinburgh University and other like-minded organisations to deliver the goal of making personalized music available to everyone living with dementia
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide the long term strategic plan and budget to develop Music for My Mind within the direction set by the Chair and Board of Trustees and gain Board approval
- Develop and secure fundraising opportunities to ensure a sustainable income to further the charity’s goals
- Prepare the annual plan and annual budget for approval by the board of trustees and drive delivery of the fundraising plan and agreed financial targets
- Responsible for the financial health of Music for My Mind, management of the budget and finances
- Act as an ambassador with external stakeholders in order to advance the charity’s aims
- Responsible for management of marketing, communication and charity administration
- Regular attendance at Board meetings and supply regular reports to Music for My Mind trustees and to other collaborators
- Ensure the organization has the right management systems and structures in place to carry out its work effectively, safely, and professionally and to fulfil its legal, statutory and regulatory responsibilities
- Take appropriate steps to manage risks that could significantly impact Music for My Mind
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree or equivalent
We are looking for someone who can demonstrate:
- Commitment to the aims and ethos of Music for My Mind
- A proven track record of long term strategic planning and delivery in a senior management or Strategy Development role in a charity or university
- A proven track record of securing funding for a charity or university in a tough and complex financial climate – including experience of making grant applications
- Excellent experience in financial management and budget development skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to communicate the strategic plan
- Excellent all-round communication skills and relationship-management abilities
- Personal drive and a positive, optimistic outlook, energy, integrity, creativity and imagination, adaptability and responsibility
- An understanding of key health and dementia issues
- An understanding of marketing and PR
- An understanding of the voluntary and community sector in the UK and the issues it faces
- A working understanding of digital media platforms
- Working from home, based in the south east with easy access to Redbourn and the St Albans area. Frequent travel required to Redbourn and other parts of Hertfordshire and London
- Occasional travel in the UK
Salary range £30-35k in the first instance – initially a 12 months fixed term contract
37.5 hours a week – can be worked flexibly from home. In practice may be longer as individual expected to attend networking and campaign events outside office hours